|Player:||AC Parore, DR Martyn, HH Streak, MTG Elliott, MS Kasprowicz, Mohammad Sami, Mushtaq Ahmed, N Pothas, MW Goodwin, Saqlain Mushtaq, TL Best, WW Hinds|
DateLine: 29th February 2008
• Matches commence from March 9th to April 7th • Championship to be held in three venues across the country • The League adds 2 new teams – Ahmedabad Rockets & Lahore Badshahs • Adds high stature international players • Matches to be shown Live on Ten Sports & Zee Sports
Mumbai, February 29, 2008: The Indian Cricket League (ICL) today announced its forthcoming tournament ‘ICL 20s Grand Championship.’ The Tournament promises 30-days of non-stop pulsating cricket starting March 9th to April 7th which will be held in three locations – Hyderabad, Chandigarh (Panchkula) and Gurgaon. Two new teams – Ahmedabad Rockets and Lahore Badshahs have also been added to the existing six teams, making the tournament more comprehensive and competitive. With international cricketers of high stature being added to the league, the quality of cricket is expected to be on par with international standards.
Starting March 9th viewers can watch the high-octane 20over format matches on Ten Sports & Zee Sports. With a match every evening and double headers on specific week-ends, the tournament will have in total 34 matches. Each team will play against each other once in the league format, followed by semi-finals, third position classification match concluding with the best of three match finals.
Announcing the Grand Championship, Kapil Dev, Chairman, Executive Board, Indian Cricket League (ICL) said, “Our first two tournaments have produced some high quality cricket. We are delighted to have added a new impressive player base which includes some quality fast bowlers, crafty spinners & explosive batsmen. Their participation in the league will provide the younger generation of cricketers valuable insights which will help them with their game. Personally, I am happy to see Pakistan being represented by the Lahore Badshah. We all have some great cricketing moments playing with them and I would like to see history repeat itself in the ICL.”
The Grand Championship will feature eight teams - Chennai Superstars, Delhi Giants, Mumbai Champs, Hyderabad Heroes, Kolkata Tigers, Chandigarh Lions, Ahmedabad Rockets and Lahore Badshahs.
After two successful editions starting with the inaugural ICL 20-20 Indian Championship held at Chandigarh (Panchkula) and the keenly contested domestic ICL 50’s held at Chennai & Hyderabad, this edition of the Grand Championship with a larger player base & multiple venue platform, will take league cricket in India to a new level.
About the Indian Cricket League (ICL) The ICL aims to achieve the right combination of international and promising domestic players for every regional team to make ICL as the most competitive domestic league in the country. It involves identifying talented young players from all over India and providing them a platform to harness their cricketing skills to the best of their potential. Another forthcoming initiative of ICL will be to set up a nation-wide infrastructure (cricket academies) equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. These academies will be headed by international & domestic coaches who have revolutionized the game.
New players to watch out for in Grand Championship!!! (In Alphabetical Order)
• Adam Parore: One of the most consistent wicketkeeper batsman in international cricket, Adam has played the role of a senior pro for the New-Zealand bowlers from the pivotal wicketkeeper position and would be expected to translate the same cricketing stature at the ICL grand championship in March.
• Avishka Gunawardane: the explosive left hand opening batsman from Sri-Lanka known for his attacking exploits with the bat in the international circuit . Avishka is a sure bet to enthrall the cricketing loving public in the twenty over format at the ICL grand championship in the march edition of the ICl .
• Damien Martyn: Epitomizing grace in his batting exploits, this stylist middle-order batsman brings elegance and solidarity to the batting exhibition at display in the ICL.
• Heath Streak: An integral part of the mercurial ascendancy of the Zimbabwe in world cricket. Streak being one of the best all-rounder of the last decade would be one of the major stars on display with both bat and ball.
• Matthew Elliott: A technically competent opening batsman, Wisden Cricketer of the year 1998 and rich experience of being player-coach of the South Australian side, helps him fit in the ICL objective of taking Indian cricket to a new pedestal
• Michael Kasprowicz: the tall well-built Queenslander has always been known as the fast bowler with a big heart. A sub-continent specialist for the Australian side, his work ethics make him the ideal international star team mate needed by a promising domestic player to take his performance to the next level.
• Mohammad Sami: One of the fastest bowlers of the last decade of international cricket, Sami with his slippery pace provides the challenge for young ICL domestic players to test their skills against one of the quickest bowlers in the world
• Murray Goodwin: A destructive top order batsman who has played the game with distinction at the highest level. His quick foot work, attacking stroke play & superb fielding skills make him an ideal player for the fast paced twenty over format game
• Mushtaq Ahmed : the master of the googly who has been instrumental for Surrey’s success in the English county , Mushy as he is known to his mates will display high quality leg spin for the fans of the ICL . His combination with Saqlain is arguably the most potent spin combination at ICL .
• Nic Pothas : The South African wicket keeper is the ideal modern day wicketkeeper with all round abilities both with the bat and gloves . Flexible with his batting order, Nic comes with a very successful stint of big scores for Hampshire in the English county championship.
• Saqlain Mushtaq : The inventor of the Doosra ,that changed the dimensions of Off – spin bowling in the world of cricket will add to ICL the much needed spin attack for the Badshah side .
• Tino Best: Dynamite is the right metaphor to be used for this 5.8 fast bowler. Exuberance and speed are virtues of his trademark qualities as a fast bowler .
• Wavell Hinds: A free flowing left hand opening batsman from Jamaica, who with his aggressive batting makes an ideal player for the twenty over format.
- Australia in West Indies 2021
- Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2021
- France Women in Germany 2021
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2019 to 2021
- India in England 2021
- India Women in England 2021
- Pakistan in England 2021
- Sofia Twenty20 2021
- South Africa in West Indies 2021
- Sri Lanka in England 2021
View all Current Events CLICK HERE